Tips to Prevent House Fires

Fire prevention should be high on the list of priorities for homeowners, renters and property managers, especially when over eighteen thousand people are injured annually in a fire emergency. Not to mention the billions of dollars in valued possessions and memories that are lost forever from the damage of a fire.

At Restoration Now!, we recommend routinely inspecting your home. If you are not familiar with what to look for, we recommend hiring contractors who are experienced in gas, plumbing, home electrical wiring and HVAC systems to ensure your home is adequately protected. Below, our fire and smoke restoration team provided a few areas you should give your attention, this could help prevent or reduce the chance of a fire in your home.

Inspect your dryer and furnace

Ensure that the vent stacks on your furnace and clothes dryer is clear of lint. If your clothes dryer is taking too long to dry your clothes, its internal ductwork may be clogged. Any lint that collects near its heat coils could spell disaster.

Keep an eye on space heaters

Keep anything flammable away from portable space heaters, including the couch and curtains. Position the heater away from the flow of traffic in the room and place it on a firm surface. Buy portable space heaters that turn off automatically when they’re tipped over.

Ensure you have a spark screen for your fireplace

If you have a fireplace, use a mesh spark screen or glass fire door to Restoration Now! embers from escaping. Have your chimney cleaned and inspected annually to remove buildup of creosote and debris. When removing ash, use a metal bucket.

Be mindful of candles and Christmas decor

Be especially careful with candles and Christmas decorations. Natural trees become highly combustible once they dry out. You’d be amazed how quickly a Christmas tree can destroy your home.

Never multitask while cooking

When you are cooking, it can be tempting to talk on the phone or do two to three things at once. Our fire and smoke restoration team suggests that you never leave your stove unattended with your burners turned on, even if it’s just to use the bathroom or answer a phone call. Simply turn them off when you leave and back on when you return.

Do NOT smoke in bed

If you’re tired, put your cigarette out, then go to bed. The single largest killer in a house fire is the careless disposal of cigarettes, so don’t smoke while impaired or light up in bed. Do not dispose of your ashes in an indoor trash can.

Electrical hazards to watch out for

When dealing with electrical systems, make sure you know what you are doing. At times, homeowners and renters will try a DIY project in order to save money. Unfortunately, if you experience a fire based on the work you perform, you could be setting yourself up, as the damage would not be eligible for an insurance claim. Be smart and hire the experts. Also, be sure to pay attention to the following tips:

  • Inspect the wiring in your attic and crawl spaces for damage to by insects or pests.
  • Check for corrosion or signs of thermal damage and for poorly taped splices and abraded insulation.
  • Check the ground cable for loose split clamps, bolts or other connecting devices.
  • Lastly, do NOT piggy-back circuits or overload your circuit breakers, fuse boxes or panel boxes. Fuses that blow or breakers that trip frequently are indicators of an overloaded circuit.

Call Restoration Now! Omaha today at (402) 502-7277 for help with a recent house fire!

Do you have questions regarding fire damage or an area in your home that might need some attention? Have you recently experienced a house fire? If so, feel free to contact our property restoration specialists at (402) 502-7277. We specialize in water, smoke, fire and mold. We strive to restore your home and reduce any stress of unexpected emergencies. Short on time? You’re welcome to fill out our contact form with your basic information and we’ll call you back at your convenience.