Fireplace Maintenance­ Can Prevent Smoke & Fire Damage

Not only does a fireplace look good in any home, but it’s also a very practical thing to have during cold Omaha winters. While it’s really nice to have the fireplace going on winter nights, it’s important to understand that this area of your home has the potential to cause extensive fire damage it isn’t properly maintained. Although it’s a little alarming to realize that your fireplace presents a significant risk of fire damage, the good news is that you can minimize that risk by understanding it and then taking the following maintenance steps recommended by our fire damage restoration team at Restoration Now! Omaha.

Understanding How a Fireplace Can Cause Fire Damage

Whenever you use your fireplace, a substance known as creosote builds up in the lining of the chimney. Creosote is a highly flammable substance, and allowing an excessive amount of this substance to build up means that it’s possible for the chimney to catch on fire while the fireplace is being used. Once a fire travels up the chimney, it can quickly move across the roof and the rest of the home.

While creosote is produced whenever a fireplace is used, this substance actually progresses through three stages. The first stage is when creosote has a flaky form that’s fairly easy to brush off. The second stage is when it’s in the form of shiny and hard black flakes. Because the flakes contain tar, they’re harder to remove. Once creosote progresses to its third stage, it becomes highly concentrated fuel that’s very hard to remove.

What You Can Do About Your Fireplace and Chimney to Prevent Fire Damage

Since creosote buildup gets worse over time and has the potential to cause extensive fire damage throughout any Omaha home, the best time to take action is now. Although Restoration Now! Omaha specializes in restoration after disasters, we are all about taking preventative action whenever possible. That’s why we recommend having your chimney inspected by a qualified professional. Not only will they check the progression of creosote, but they will also remove the current buildup.

In addition to having your chimney properly serviced, there are several steps you can take to minimize issues with creosote. Although it’s fine to use the fireplace in your Omaha home, avoid firewood that’s newly cut and unseasoned. It’s also a good idea to steer clear of burning artificial logs. And whenever you are using your fireplace, be sure that there’s plenty of airflow through this space.

Call Restoration Now! Omaha At (402) 502-7277 for Prompt and Professional Service After a Fire

Although proper fireplace maintenance can minimize the risk of fire damage in this area of your home, there’s still always the possibility of a fire being caused by another source. In the unfortunate event that your home is damaged by a fire, calling Restoration Now! Omaha at (402) 502-7277 is the best way to get your home back to normal as soon as possible.